More GTD from BarCampJozi

Last weekend at BarCamp Johannesburg, I presented my Moleskine GTD system, along with a brief attempt to explain GTD (for the first time- I didn't think I presented it too well, but a couple of people mentioned they enjoyed it- thanks). Two other systems were presented, and I want to write about them while I can still remember them clearly (thanks to Roger who was liveblogging for jogging my memory a bit).

Danie Roux presented his text-file based system. Danie has 3 files : GTD.txt, reference.txt and support.txt. GTD is the list of tasks, with contexts, reference is the general reference (phone numbers etc.) and support is project-specific or current reference material. Inbox/note taking is handled by typing messages into his cell phone, and an A4-sized tasklist is printed daily with the tasks and their contexts (Danie has a @watch context for tracking movies he wants to watch- handy if you watch a lot of videos/DVDs). Danie also mentioned GTDTiddlywiki as a way of managing the system.

Anton de Wet from Obsidian briefly showed us a software-based system which he wrote himself. The system (called Getting Me Done) has a view that shows tasks grouped by context, and also by project, which are fairly standard features for GTD software. 2 interesting innovations where the ability to assign an energy level by task, and then see a list grouped by energy level, as well as repeating tasks- things to do every day, every week etc. A final touch was that the system was set up to only show one next action per project in the context lists- which should distribute effort amongst the different projects.

Tagged: , ,

posted by Peter le Roux @ 5:05 AM,

2 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Roger Saner said...

Ja, liveblogging was the only way I could process all the info - just too much to take in and think about at once.

I'm over half-way through reading the GTD book - thanks! - and will be using the system to reduce my inbox (currently 421 messages) to 0. Hooray for GTD!

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Peter le Roux said...

421?
I think there will be quite a bit of straight-to-trash filing (if my own cleanup is anything to go by)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home